I love zucchini, but if you are successfully growing it in your garden, you can end up with copious amounts! My friend was complaining about all the zucchini she has, afraid that she wouldn’t be able find ways to use it all. This prompted me to look up some recipes that feature this nutritious vegetable, other than the standard zucchini bread and muffins. I came across this website called http://www.nourishingmeals.com that offers many healthy recipes, including this one for creamy zucchini soup. What I like is that you can make the recipe and freeze it, so you can have some in the months when zucchini is no longer in season. I like being able to taste summer after is has passed! However, if you don’t freeze it, the soup should last in the refrigerator for up to five days.
2 to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
8 to 10 cups chopped zucchini (about 5 to 6 medium ones, any color)
6 tablespoons uncooked white rice
8 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
1 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
2 to 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
sea salt or Herbamare to taste
1. Heat a 6 to 8-quart pot over medium heat. Add olive oil, then the onion and saute for 5-10 minutes or until onion softens and is starting to change color.
2. Add garlic and cumin; saute a minute more.
3. Add chopped zucchini, white rice, and chicken stock.
4. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is cooked and zucchini is tender.
5. Add cilantro and lemon juice to the pot. Remove from heat and puree in your blender in batches.
6. Add the whole bunch of cilantro to one of the batches after you have already pureed it some, so the cilantro is not completely pureed.
7. Pour soup into another clean pot or bowl, stir batches together, and taste. Add sea salt or Herbamare to taste, if needed.
Enjoy the soup within five days, or freeze the batch/part of the batch for a taste of the season later on. I hope this helps you use up some of that summer wonder vegetable!
If you’re looking for a place in Central Ohio, please contact me and my team. We are professionals ready to serve you with your real estate needs. Please visit our website at www.Lori-Hicks.com, call me at 614.336.7514 or email anytime Lori.Hicks@HERrealtors.com.